Food Waste Collection & Recycling
Food waste doesn’t need to go to landfill, and it is far better for both the environment and your finances if it doesn’t. If sent to landfill, food waste produces a level of methane as it breaks down which is 22 times more damaging to the environment than CO2. Food waste also produces a liquid called leachate when in landfill, which can contaminate the UK’s water supplies.
What foods can be recycled?
You’ll be surprised at what foods can be recycled! Many mistakenly believe it is only raw fruit and vegetables, however we can collect and recycle all of the below from your premises, leaving you with a much lighter general waste bin:
- Meat and fish – raw and cooked, including bones
- All dairy products, such as eggs and cheese
- Raw and cooked vegetables and fruit
- Bread, cakes and pastries
- Rice, pasta and beans
- Leftover food from plates and dishes
- Tea leaves and bags, and coffee grounds
The benefits of food waste recycling
The benefits of recycling your business food waste and diverting it from landfill are huge to the environment and your business. These benefits include:
- Cutting the amount of methane and toxic leachate entering the environment
- Avoiding expensive Landfill Tax by diverting your food waste elsewhere
- Cleaner and lighter general waste containers, therefore lowering costs for you
- Getting ahead of anticipated new Food Waste regulations
- Generating renewable energy, making the recycling process even better than CO2 neutral
- Reducing your business carbon footprint
- Moving your business towards being 'Zero Waste to Landfill'
How we collect your food waste
We use 240 litre bins for food waste collection, which are emptied weekly, ensuring food does not sit on site for long periods of time. We can also supply you with kitchen caddies and regular bin washes, to make your food waste collection hassle-free.
Energy from food waste
The food waste we collect is converted into renewable energy, which then powers electrical items country-wide. Here are a few interesting facts regarding how much food waste it takes to power items in the home or work environment:
- 32 recycled banana peels can power a home for one hour
- 22 recycled teabags can power a vacuum cleaner for 10 minutes
- A kitchen caddy full of food waste could produce enough energy to power a fridge for 18 hours
Forge Recycling compost Vegware’s reusable plant based packaging
As well as producing high-quality compost, our food collections produce biogas that can be used for heat and electricity, whilst reducing the levels of methane that enter the atmosphere.
Make your Waste Management more sustainable and turn your food waste into renewable energy!
Forge Recycling’s Zero to Landfill Project: Food Composting in Schools
Forge Recycling are sharing this cartoon-style educational graphic to communicate the impacts of how Yorkshire schools are managing their food waste. The average Primary school will produce over four tonnes of food waste a year!
Choosing to compost with Forge, instead of disposing of food in general waste bins, has amazing environmental benefits, such as creating renewable energy as well as returning rich soil to the Yorkshire farmland. This is in addition to reducing overall waste management costs!
By recycling with Forge, schools can ensure food waste is disposed of through the brilliant processes of anaerobic digestion and in-vessel composting, at a special facility in Yorkshire.
If you are a school, or business, in the area and are interested in recycling your food and compostable waste, please get in touch with us at Forge and we can arrange a free waste audit.
Do you want to save your business money on your waste collections? Would you like to send less waste to landfill? Get in touch with Forge Waste & Recycling today for a free, no obligation business waste audit.