Street cleansing costs UK taxpayers almost £1 billion per year in England alone, and that is just the monetary cost of litter; it also impacts upon community wellbeing and mental health, wildlife, local business, tourism, wildlife, and the environment. Furthermore, it encourages other anti-social behaviour.
Despite the best efforts of local councils, there are still many spots around Yorkshire (and further afield) where litter builds up – after all, 62% of people in England drop litter, although only 28% admit to it, and councils have a budget to work within. However, 57% of people in England feel that litter is a problem in their area. Is it an issue in your area?
Litter and local business
A recent study by Keep Britain Tidy found that litter can have a huge impact on local business, as people are less inclined to spend time in an area which is littered. In fact, they found that litter could represent a 2% drop in a company’s turnover. This figure would no doubt be even larger if you rely on tourism directly. There’s also the issue of packaging – if yours is dropped, it can have a negative impact on your brand.
Of those surveyed, 72% thought the Government should do more about litter, however 82% thought businesses should do more. Could your business help? Helping out by organising a community litter pick could help your business. It would also be an excellent thing to get involved in for your corporate social responsibility – and it would look great on your website and your social media!
This offer is also open to local organisations, charities and schools.
Organise a free litter pick
If you run a business, organisation, charity or school in our area* and you’d like to organise a local litter pick, we’ll be happy to help – in fact, Forge Recycling will supply you with everything you need to complete a pick, including litter pickers, bags, hi-vis vests and gloves. We will then collect the sacks of litter from you once you are done. These sacks will be sorted for recycling, and nothing will be sent to landfill.
How to claim your free litter pick kit
If you’d like to get involved in clearing up your local area, it couldn’t be simpler – just email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know your name, the name and location of your business/charity/school, and a contact telephone number, and someone will be in touch to get you booked in.
What’s in it for us?
Here at Forge we hate litter and love to get involved with the local community. All we ask from you is a photo or two of you and your colleagues/pupils during the litter pick, and perhaps a mention on your website or newsletter and social media. You can share your photos with us via Twitter (@Forge_Recycling) or Facebook. We’d love to see you in action!
Terms and Conditions
- Forge Waste & Recycling reserve the right to stop this offer at any time.
- This offer is only open to businesses/organisations/charities/schools that are located within the area in which Forge Waste & Recycling operate.
- This offer is for one use of the equipment, which we then pass on to the next community group.
- Forge Waste & Recycling reserve the right to use any litter pick photographs you share with them. These images may be used on Forge’s website, on their social media channels, and elsewhere as required.
- Litter picks are carried out at your own risk. Forge Waste & Recycling are in no way responsible or liable for organised litter picks they provide equipment for. Each business/organisation/charity/school is responsible for carrying out its own litter pick risk assessment, purchasing public liability insurance, and gaining permission from any landowners.
*Areas we cover: Leeds, Bradford, Wetherby, Harrogate, Ilkley, Otley, Keighley, Halifax, Brighouse, Huddersfield, Dewsbury, Wakefield, Castleford, Doncaster.
Featured image credit: Dragon Images